Common Name: Staghorn Sumac
Scientific Name: Rhus typhina
Leaf: Alternate; pinnately compound with 11-31 leaflets; leaflets are rounded at the base and sharp-pointed at the somewhat curved tip; upper surface is dark green and lower is paler and hairy.
Flower: Small, greenish-yellow and in terminal clusters.
Fruit: Red, berrylike and hairy; in steeple-shaped clusters that persist over the winter.
Twig: Densely velvety-hairy.
Bark: Branches resemble the antlers of a deer.
Wood: Greenish in colour with an orange pith.
Did you know?
1. The fruits can be used to make a summer drink known as sumac-ade.
2. Autumn colours are beautiful – vibrant red, orange, and yellow.
3. Common throughout southern Ontario in open fields, on the edges of woods, on river banks, and rocky ridges.
Lat, Long: 43.7860656, -79.5896624
Diameter (DBH): 5.5 cm
Last Year Modified: 2015
Carbon Stored in this Tree: 3.75 kg of C
Equivalent CO2: 13.75 kg of C
1. Soper, J. H., & Heimburger, M. L. (1982). Shrubs of Ontario (pp. 279-280). Toronto, Canada: The Royal Ontario Museum.
2. Photo credit: Ivo Ivov. Jan. 20, 2015. Rhus typhina (Влакнест шмак) near Hilton. Retrieved on Oct. 29, 2015 from https://goo.gl/6DU2Aw.
3. Photo credit: Ryszard Wojdowski (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.
4. Photo credit: InAweofGod’sCreation. Sept. 23, 2009. 684 sumac. Retrieved on Oct. 29, 2015 from https://goo.gl/cQXgKt.
5. Photo credit: C T Johansson (Own work) [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.
6. Photo credit: AnRo0002 (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons.
7. Photo credit: Ryan Hodnett (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.
8. Photo credit: Kent McFarland. Nov. 23, 2010. Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina) large trunk. Retrieved on Oct. 29, 2015 from https://goo.gl/cUSQoi
Copyright 2015Association for Canadian Educational Resources
The Humber River was the site of the 2nd Annual Woodbridge Fair. In 1848 the fair was held in Burwick, the former name of the Village of Woodbridge, on the Humber River flats east of Wallace Street. This land was owned by John Abell, who settled here in 1845.